Guide to Sharpening Speed Skates
- Place skates in jig with inner sides facing each other. Using the stone as a guide make absolutely sure the skates are flat in jig. Check that the adjustment screws are NOT touching the frame. Finger tighten the blade holding clamps.
- With the jig facing you use the rough side of stone and go back and forth alternating left to right as you move stone. This creates a cross cut on the blade. Do 10 motions one way then 10 the other. Flip jig around and repeat.
- Repeat step 2 until you achieve a burr (mushrooming) over the side of blade. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that you have a burr over the entire length of blade on both sides of blade. Repeat step 2 until you have a burr. Check using your finger nail.
- While keeping blades in jig remove burr using the small deburring stone. Run the deburring stone from back to front on both sides of blade until you no longer feel a burr.
- Polish the blade using the smooth side of stone by moving back and forth along the whole length of blade. Flip the jig every 10 motions. You should only need to do this 2 or 3 times…total of 20-30 motions.
- Remove blades from jig. Run the deburring stone from back to front on both sides of blade until you no longer feel a burr.